Art belongs to the education of man

The beginnings of the Trubschachen art exhibition lie in the schoolroom of Walter Berger (1906-1981). Paintings by Cuno Amiet adorned the walls of his schoolroom. A friend of the painter, Berger was always allowed to replace the paintings with new ones. In the fifties, he began to organise small exhibitions in the village schoolhouse. Impressed himself by the beauty and effect of art and music, he brought the artists to the village by whom he was most fascinated: besides Amiet, painters like Hodler, Anker, Koller. Berger was convinced that only the best was good enough to inspire someone for art. And for him, art and music belonged to a person's education, which did not end when he left school, but lasted a lifetime.